The Next-level Processor for
the Mobile Future
Samsung has announced the new Exynos 9820, the chipset that will probably power its upcoming flagships like the Galaxy S10, Galaxy Note 10, and possibly its new foldable phone
The new 8nm process Exynos 9820 succeeds the 10nm Exynos 9810, which powered Galaxy S9 models outside the US while US models ran on Qualcomm’s 10nm Snapdragon 845.
Instead of relying on algorithms to enhance on-chip AI processing, Samsung has integrated a dedicated Neural Processing Unit (NPU), bringing it up to par with Huawei’s Kirin chips, and Apple’s A12 Bionic chips for the iPhone.
Samsung says the new NPU will allow the Exynos 9820 to run AI tasks seven times faster than the Exynos 9810. It should also help deliver improved photography features, such as adjusting camera settings, and faster object recognition.
The octa-core Exynos 9820 consists of a two custom CPU cores, dual Cortex A75 cores, and four Cortex A55 cores
- The Exynos 9 Series (9820) mobile processor is built to maximize intelligence on the go. From AI capabilities with NPU to powerful performance through tri-cluster CPU, the Exynos 9820 offers the blueprint and foundation for a smart, mobile future.
- The Exynos 9820 pushes the limit of mobile intelligence with an integrated Neural Processing Unit (NPU), a component that specializes in processing artificial intelligence tasks. It allows the processor to perform AI-related functions seven times faster than its predecessor.1 From enhancing photos to advanced AR features, the Exynos 9820 with NPU expands AI capabilities of mobile devices.
- Featuring a 4th generation custom CPU, the Exynos 9820’s innovative tri-cluster architecture delivers premium processing power. The CPU consists of two custom cores for ultimate processing power, two Cortex-A75 cores for optimal performance, and four Cortex-A55 cores for greater efficiency, resulting in superior performance that lasts. Tri-cluster with intelligent task scheduler boosts multi-core performance by 15 percent when compared to the Exynos 9810, while the 4th generation custom CPU with enhanced memory access capability and cutting-edge architecture design improves single core performance by up to 20 percent or boosts power efficiency by up to 40 percent.
- Experience blazing download speed and smooth online gameplay with the Exynos 9820’s LTE-Advanced Pro modem. The integrated modem supports LTE Category 20 to offer downlink speed of up to 2.0Gbps with 8x carrier aggregation (CA) and uplink speed of up to 316Mbps.2 Stability and speed of the modem is enhanced even further with the expansion of 4×4 Multiple-Input, Multiple-Output (MIMO), 256-QAM (Quadrature Amplitude Modulation), and Enhanced Licensed-Assisted Access (eLAA) technology.
- Equipped with high performing Mali-G76 MP12 GPU, the Exynos 9820 delivers the ultimate gaming experience. The GPU features wider execution engines with double the number of lanes when compared to its predecessor, resulting in better performance and efficiency for complex graphics. Compared to the Exynos 9810, the Exynos 9820 offers up to 40 percent improvement in performance or 35 percent enhancement in power efficiency for more immersive, uninterrupted gameplay.
- The Exynos 9820’s advanced image signal processor (ISP) supports up to five sensors, including an IR sensor, to enable flexible multi-camera solutions. With advanced design for greater photo quality and faster auto-focus, the Exynos 9820 offers best-in-class photography experience, which is further enhanced by the AI-capabilities of the NPU.
- Record precious memories in extraordinary detail with the Exynos 9820’s multi-format codec (MFC), which supports encoding and decoding of 8K videos at 30fps. By rendering colors in 10-bit and a wide range of tones and hues, the Exynos 9820 delivers life-like representations of multimedia content on HDR display.
- To keep user’s information safe and secure, the Exynox 9820 uses physically unclonable function (PUF) to store and manage personal data in perfect isolation. While PUF provides the unique key, secure key manager supports other security protocols, such as key generation, storage and derivation.
- The Exynos 9820 delivers round-the-clock mobile productivity by enhancing battery life with an innovative low power design. 8nm LPP (Low Power Plus) FinFET process reduces power consumption by up to 10 percent compared to 10nm LPP process3, while the Exynos 9820 also optimizes power consumption of CPU and GPU through reduced operating voltage, idle, and leakage power.